Friday, 27 April 2012

New Shawl in Old Yarn

This shawl is a free pattern on Ravelry called Pimpelliese.  It is knit from point to point and is really simple!  The pattern is done in 'fingering' weight yarn (4ply) but I had this hand painted cotton in DK after I pulled back a previous shawl I had made up myself and fallen out with.  Just divide your yarn in 2 and increase until half is used then decrease using the other half.  Done! This took me 10 days to knit in my spare time after work.

Here is the pattern :

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Bunting for baby Thomas

I have a new nephew!  As I did knitted bunting for my niece when she was born I wanted to do the same for him. Changed it up a but and did a fabric bunting instead, mainly due to time constraints and the fact my sewing machine was out!

To do the letters I printed out the text at the right size and using a rotary cutter and scalpel cut out the letters.  Using a very tight zig zag stitch I went around the edges of the letters on one side of the bunting flags. Then with a straight stitch sewed the flags rightside facing then turned rightway out. Then I over sewed the tops to close the flags and attach the ribbon.

All fabric bought from Abakans in Manchester.

Saturday, 7 April 2012

Velvet Patchwork

Something made out of nothing really. This velvet patchwork is made from the hanging sample of Designers Guild velvets that was being thrown away to make way for a new one. There was a 1sqm piece of the pink velvet and over 30 15cm squares of all the other shades.

I originally organised the squares in shade order and it looked a bit dull. So colours are sort of grouped together but shaken up.

The large pink piece became the borders and it is backed in fleece that I bought from Abakans in Manchester.

Did this on the sewing machine and finished it off by hand when turned inside out.